Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Dividend?

So our Alberta government has hinted they might issue us a "dividend" cheque, but there's no specifics yet. I've heard rumours of $300 per taxpayer. Ralph - if you haven't decided yet, consider the following rules of eligibility:

  • the amount paid is pro-rated based on how many years you've paid tax into the Alberta system.
  • the exception to the above rule is if you are a member of the Armed Forces, because it's not your fault if you didn't live in Alberta your whole career.
  • people who moved here from Saskatchewan should have to pay the government back (ha ha - sorry, I couldn't help myself on that one).
  • if you're an executive in the oil industry - you get nothing, because you're the ones who created this supply/demand situation that resulted in the windfall in the first place.
  • in order to qualify for the cheque, you must be able to use the word "dividend" correctly in an English sentence, in less than 10 seconds.

Now that I've stirred up that pot, let the flaming begin!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn. I wish I didn't live in BC now.

~Anna

Anonymous said...

Big Deal! That won't even cover the cost of my 2 kids' school fees. They should put all the money toward hip and knee replacements. I hear they make people wait years for those.

Anonymous said...

You'll only need new knees if you keep begging the government for money. Let the politicians enjoy the fruits of my labour and bask in the glory of the pennies they deign shower on the masses. Enough whining already.

Anonymous said...

Yeah.. But for University students like me, 300$ is a BIIIGG deal.

Rofl. I'm such a cheapo.

~Anna

Karl Plesz said...

Now that I've had more time to think about it, any government surplus is best spent on the people who were most affected by cuts in the first place. I think most people would agree that the Klein brand of cuts in the 90's had the greatest effect on low income earners, education, medicine and transportation. Therefore these groups should benefit from the unexpected surplus.