Sunday, May 29, 2005

Pavlovian psychosis?

Am I the only one who is annoyed by a ringing phone? I get stressed if nobody picks a ringing phone up. Consciously, I know it's not a big deal. If the call is really important, they'll leave a message or call back later, right? But the sound of a ringing phone just hits a nerve the wrong way and I don't know why. Only now the situation is worse. We have cell phones. More specifically, people leave their cell phones at their desk unattended. Now they don't just ring....oh no. They make barnyard noises or play showtunes and rap ditties and dance (vibrate) all over the place. There's one phone at work (whose location and owner I have yet to identify) that plays that "general call" whistle that you used to hear on the original Star Trek, when Kirk was about to address the ship. I love it - but it drives me batty.

Incidentally, timers and alarms have the same effect.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Grghhhhh cell phones being left unattended is a major annoyance to me. Rings are one thing but music? That has got to be the worst type of ring. When I'm stationary (like at my desk) the phone is put on vibrate. I know when it's ringing but no one else does.