Sunday, May 22, 2005

It's all so anti-climactic

So Darlene and I went to see Star Wars Episode III today. The movie may be breaking box office records, but not at the theatre I was at. Of course, it is the May 24 long weekend in Canada after all, so most Calgarians are either tempting another May snowstorm somewhere in the shadow of the Rocky Mountains or tearing up Waiparous with their 4x4's.

But back to the movie. I liked it. Not loved it. The effects were dazzling. Everything fell into place. Ani became Darth, Luke and Leia were born, yadda yadda. George Lucas insists this is it - there never were going to be another 3 movies (episodes VII, VIII and IX). Whatever. I left the theatre wanting more. And now I think I know why. For me, it was never about the Force. It was never about the heroes versus the villains. It was always about space. It allowed me to escape to outer space in an era when we didn't quite yet have the ability to venture into the galaxy. It was only supposed to tide me over until we developed the technology to go out there and discover the universe, even if only artifacts of extinct civilizations remained.

Instead, the saga is complete. Yet we've lost the will to get out there, never mind working on the technology to do so. The next George Lucas better get cracking on the next space saga, because I need to kill another 30 or so years until we get our focus back.

No comments: