Friday, October 08, 2004

I'm out of the closet

I'm a Liberal. That's right - and I live in Calgary Alberta. Horror of horrors! Now, I have to admit, I was not born and raised here. In fact I grew up as a minority in my own province - I am a Quebec-bred Anglophone. That may help you to understand why I am a Liberal. Unlike many of my Anglophone brethren, I did not run to Ontario or Alberta in a panic in the late 70's when the Parti Quebecois came into power. I ended up in Alberta courtesy of your Department of National Defense, sent in as a spy from Eastern Canada. But seriously, I love it out here save for the day long drive to get anywhere by car. Spare me that Edmonton is only 3 hours away - it's really not worth the drive (sorry Edmonton).

But back to my original topic. I'm a Liberal and I'm proud of it. My minority government in Ottawa needs all the support it can get in the coming days, weeks, months - whatever. And I'm not alone. There's another blog "from the mind of one of the few Liberals in Calgary who haven't been hunted down and driven out of town yet". I feel your pain and you are not alone.

1 comment:

Karl Plesz said...

Yes, you're right. I should be punished for suggesting the Rockies weren't worth visiting - they are. I am in awe of those mountains, I was since the day I arrived here. I was referring to city destinations specifically. From Kingston, you're 2 hours from Ottawa, 2.5 from Toronto, 3 from Montreal, 3 from Syracuse, 5 from NYC. And hey - in Winnipeg you at least have the beaches on the lakes.