Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Did I save your life today?

If I ever get a video camera (believe it or not, we do not have one), one of the first things I'm gonna do with it is bring it for a ride in my car. Why? So I can document once and for all a phenomenon that happens to me on a regular basis.

I'm talking about people putting on their seatbelts. When I first noticed it, I thought it was just a coincidence. When I told Darlene about it, she thought I was crazy. But I swear to you, as I drive around town, I observe people looking at me in my car - then scrambling to put on their seatbelts. Maybe I look like a cop to them - I don't know. Whatever it is, I see this activity several times a day. No, they're not putting them on because they've just gotten into their cars - I'm talking about people who've been driving around, glance at me, then suddenly scramble to put their belt on. Now Darlene actually notices it too and will ask me, "did you see that one?"

So here's the deal. I seem to be having more of an effect than any public service campaign. I'm probably saving lives too. So I will graciously accept any law enforcement organization's offer to drive around all day scaring people into putting their belts on - for a nominal fee. Operators are standing by.....

No comments: