Tuesday, September 14, 2004

What a waste

I'm currently embroiled in a discussion with the City over my ineligibility to get a rebate for buying a more efficient toilet. The reason? I'm not on a meter. I don't understand. Here's their reasoning:

The toilet rebate program is limited to metered customers because our water conservation programs are designed based on the fact that water savings are measurable. Without a water meter, the City, nor the homeowner can access data on water use for the account, and therefore confirm that water savings are being realized.

My retort:

It doesn't matter whether you have a meter or not, you will use less water if you switch to efficient toilets. Being able to measure the savings is moot. I believe the main reason rebates are only offered to metered residents is because the City is biased toward metered customers because they earn the City the most money on average. It's still not fair to the rest of us. By denying us a rebate, you're basically saying that it's OK for flat rate customers to waste water - because we are less likely to buy a more efficient toilet without the rebate. No wonder your statistics show metered customers use less water - they are offered rebates to buy more efficient toilets!

I do plan to get a meter some day, when I can be sure I'll be home to let them install it. Meanwhile, I am getting ripped.

No comments: