Saturday, July 31, 2004

The king is dead...long live Mozilla

If you are disappointed with Internet Explorer, I urge you to give an alternative a try. I'm talking about Mozilla Firebird. I started out as a Netscape user, then I ended up switching to IE because more and more web pages were only working properly with IE. I found I had to deal with many unexplained crashes with IE and of course there were the always publicized security vulnerabilities.

A friend recommended Firebird and I gave it a try. I haven't looked back. It's lean, portable and has a number of nice features IE is only introducing in their next version, like built-in pop up blocking. My favourite feature though is tabbed browsing. No more multiple windows and no more having to resize the window. Firebird, like all Mozilla products, allows you to have many web pages open all in one browser window, with a tab for each across the top. I haven't run across many pages that don't work in Firebird (Windows Update being an obvious exception). Another cool feature - you can assign key words to your favourite web sites. The key words are simply extra properties saved in the bookmarks (equivalent of IE favourites).

Is it void of problems? No. But so far it's a lot easier to tame than IE. I still keep IE around for those special web sites that were written specifically for IE, but that's it. Give it a try. You have nothing to lose. You'll notice on the mozilla site that they also have a stand alone e-mail client called Thunderbird. And yes - I'm using that too...

No comments: