Friday, January 05, 2024

40,000 km CX-5 review

In 2022, we bought a new Mazda CX-5 GT AWD, non-turbo. From order date to delivery date took 3 months, but toward the end of the wait period, we opted to choose a different colour to get it faster, as the colour we originally picked was not being made in quantity in the plant at Hiroshima. We used it as our second vehicle for 5 months, then it became our only vehicle. After putting 43,000 km on it in 18 months, I thought it was time to give it an honest review.

Why the CX-5? I did want to buy the CX-30, which is a bit smaller, but it didn’t have power passenger seat controls. That was a deal breaker for my spouse. After we test drove the CX-5, she gave me the green light to buy.

Why not the Turbo model? After test driving the non-turbo variant, I was convinced that I didn’t need it. Also, it’s one less thing to go wrong. The icing on the cake is that the vehicle runs on regular gas. That’s a huge money saver right there. After 40k, I don’t regret the choice.

The good

I like being able to operate the car without taking the key out of my pocket - that’s a first for me. I like how it rides. The suspension is not too harsh. Apple Carplay! It’s so nice to see navigation maps without having to put the phone on a mount. Radar cruise control! That removes a lot of stress on road trips. Ventilated seats! A sweaty back is now a thing of the past. Heated steering wheel! No more frozen fingers on my winter drives to work. Heads up display! So much useful information in my line of sight. Did I mention it only needs regular gas? Maintenance costs are much lower than my previous vehicle. Cylinder deactivation! If the power requirements allow it, the engine can be instantly switched to a mode where only 2 cylinders are firing. Downhill, it can stop all 4 from firing. This is how it gets good gas mileage.

The whining

I wish it had wireless Apple Car Play. Having to use a cable is a bit lame. It’s good to have a TPMS system so you’re aware when tire inflation isn’t optimum, but could Mazda at least include an information display showing actual tire pressure? It’s not like the sensors don’t provide that information. The entertainment system was experiencing random reboots, but after a software update, which I asked for, it seems to be fixed. Maintenance intervals are much shorter than my last vehicle - 8,000 km. That’s potentially every 2 months when we are doing a lot of travelling. I think the car would get even better mileage if it had an 8 speed transmission rather than 6 speed. I miss paddle shifters, but I can use the sport shifter if I need to. My last car parked itself. I really enjoyed that feature. My CX-5 doesn’t even have parking sensors. That would be helpful and it shouldn’t only be available on the highest trim levels. I’ve been relying on the auto door lock feature since taking ownership. It’s finicky though. If the passenger door is the last to close, it doesn’t always lock. If I walk away from the car too fast, not staying close until I hear the first beep, it doesn’t lock. Thankfully, the MyMazda app lets me know, but if I ever let that subscription run out (which I might, because it’s not cheap to renew), I would have to retrain myself to use the fob to lock the doors every time to be sure. The Mazda Connect service should be free IMHO. I miss the panoramic moonroof my previous vehicle had. A regular sized moonroof is almost redundant.

No comments: