Friday, March 10, 2023

Correct me if I’m wrong


Racism. Sexism. Misogyny. Entitlement. Many white guys claim that they don’t have any of those characteristics. Let’s be real. We all have it to varying degrees. We may try to avoid saying and doing the things that make others squirm, but we’ve spent, in some cases 6 decades or more, learning the behaviour. So no matter how we try, we slip up. Some of us more than others. Sometimes we say or do things not even realizing how wrong they are. 

I met a hilarious guy at Loose Moose who wasted no time calling me or anyone else out for saying something racist, even if by accident. You might know him from Kim’s Convenience and The Burbs. I met another guy at Loose Moose who has made it his mission to help folks unlearn these toxic behaviours and he inspires me to try to do the same.

So if you catch me saying something inappropriate, say something. In public even. And I promise to do the same with you. Not to judge. Because I believe we can be better.

Let’s be better.

Thanks to Andrew P, Josh B and Bernie MD for inspiration.


No comments: