Saturday, January 08, 2022

KP duty - not named after me


People have asked me, once they found out that I served in the military, if there is such a thing as 'KP duty'. There is. It's one of the kinds of extra duty punishments that the military can assign you when you get into trouble for doing something against the rules. It involves having to go to the mess hall (military kitchen) and report to the kitchen supervisor, who would assign you any number of nasty chores, from mopping floors to peeling potatoes to washing pots and pans. If you were lucky, the staff took pity on you and gave you a nicer job like putting food out or working the steam line.

I would then be asked if my initials being KP was just a coincidence and I had to assure them that yes, it was, although sometimes I didn't think my boss realized that for the number of times I'd get assigned KP duty. I'm not saying I got it a lot, but by the time I left the military I probably knew as much about how the kitchen worked as some of the cooks did.


No comments: