Friday, November 27, 2020

Play the whole album - Low - The Great Destroyer

If you have a Spotify or any other music streaming service that lets you listen to entire albums in one go, I've got some homework for you.

There are certain types of music and the bands that play them that surprise the hell out of me. I mean sure, I have always been attracted to unique music, but this band connected with me the second I heard them. I wasn't introduced via this particular album. Instead it was the very last track from the album Things we lost in the fire. I mean, first of all, how many albums' last tracks are the one that stick with you? Anyway, while that song sums up what I think Low is about sonically, that album doesn't have many songs that I love. Just the one. So if you want a diversion just to get the gist of how I discovered this band Low, go listen to In Metal first, then we'll continue (YouTube link).


Okay, so now that you've heard the song that got my attention, welcome to the first track from The Great Destroyer, Monkey. My feeling is that Low wanted to say to the world, "We're not going down in history as a quiet shoe-gazer band and here's our proof." Slow-core indeed. I wondered if I was unique for loving this song and its relentless drums and distorted synth line. But then I discovered that Robert Plant loved it so much, he covered it on his album Band of Joy. Imagine if the Carpenters decided to pay homage to 9 Inch Nails. Yeah, I know, it's not for everyone, but I dare you to listen to it more than once and tell me if it isn't starting to win you over. If not, don't worry, there are still more subtle, approachable gems hidden here.

The next song may as well be my retirement anthem. Now that San Diego has won my heart for best spot on the planet, California hits me where it hurts. I sing along every time.

Though it breaks your heart

We had to sell the farm

Back to California where it's warm

Mimi and Alan's vocals play off each other so well. I can see the sunset reflecting off the Pacific Ocean every time I hear it.

The next song I like from this album is Cue the strings. Mimi and Alan carry this tune almost solo, with a spare accompaniment of electronic strings. Fitting, no?

From this song through to the end of the album, things tone down a little compared to the brash opening half. The songs are decent, but the standout here is Broadway, so many people. You are transported to Broadway. You can see the storeys-high screens and you realize that you're not in Kansas anymore. My favourite part is the coda, which starts around the four minute mark and marathons for a solid three plus minutes. If I was putting their live set list together, this would be their encore song.

The music is simple, powerful, pure modern grunge with gorgeous vocal harmonies. What's not to like?

No comments: