Friday, August 28, 2020

Life with a Chromebook after a few months

How's life with a Chromebook after a few months? So far, so good.

Do I miss my MacBook Air? Not really. Do I miss not being able to run Windows programs on it? I couldn't do that on my MacBook either, and I got used to that, so it doesn't matter. The Chromebook is only being used as a mobile/vacation platform anyway, so all that I need is either already part of the Google environment or available as an app.

What apps did I install? Spotify, Facebook and FB Messenger. Netflix. Amazon Prime. Flowx (a weather app for Android).

Anything I like about it in particular? Having a touch screen is nice. I like that it updates itself without any prompting. It really is as close to a dummy-proof laptop as one can get, which is why I usually tout it as the perfect computer for grandma or anyone else whose needs are basic and they need a reset button for when they get into trouble. The battery life is decent. The back-lit keyboard is a nice touch.

Anything I'm still getting used to? Since I don't use the Chromebook every day, the quirkiness of the UI, keyboard keys and swipe gestures doesn't stick in my brain yet.

There is no Caps Lock key. In its place is Search. You can use Search as Caps lock, but you also have to hold the Alt key. You can also change the assignment of Search to be used as Caps Lock. I'm seriously considering this.

The track pad doesn't have a right click side. You have to Alt click or tap the track pad with 2 fingers.

Pretty much any android app will run on a Chromebook, but they don't all format themselves for a bigger screen. I'm hoping people start developing apps specifically for Chromebook screens.


No comments: